Minnesota English Language Program
Please Note: The Minnesota English Language Program is now located at 20 Nicholson Hall, 216 Pillsbury Drive SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455. Phone numbers and email addresses are the same.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
The Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) provides courses in English as a second language (ESL) at the University of Minnesota. ESL course work helps non-native English speakers improve English reading, writing, and speaking skills for success in a university classroom or in the workplace.
Taught by exceptional faculty from a world-class university, MELP offers a variety of credit and noncredit courses for students and professionals. Drawing on a wealth of resources from across the University of Minnesota, MELP also offers customizable English as a Second Language (ESL) training to meet the specific language needs of various groups, businesses, and organizations.
Students benefit from the program with:
- Rigorous courses at a world-class university
- Outstanding academic programs
- Friendly, highly skilled teachers
- Small class sizes
- Advising and support services geared to international students
- Access to University resources and facilities
Leader in ESL and Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Training
For more than 40 years, the University of Minnesota has led the way in ESL and TESL training. Students have access to a wealth of academic resources, exceptional faculty, cutting-edge technology, and other facilities at one of the largest research universities in the United States.
MELP offers three distinct services:
- Academic English Program – Credit classes for students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate degree programs who are seeking to improve their English language skills while taking other academic course work.
- Intensive English Program – A program designed for students who need to improve their English skills in preparation for study at a University or college, and for those who wish to prepare for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Short-term Learning – Customizable training for groups of 12 or more non-native English speakers.