Minnesota English Language Program
Please Note: As of March 24, 2014, the Minnesota English Language Program will be located at 20 Nicholson Hall, 216 Pillsbury Drive SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455. Phone numbers and email addresses will remain the same.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
The Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) provides courses in English as a second language (ESL) at the University of Minnesota. ESL course work helps non-native English speakers improve English reading, writing, and speaking skills for success in a university classroom or in the workplace.
Taught by exceptional faculty from a world-class university, MELP offers a variety of credit and noncredit courses for students and professionals. Drawing on a wealth of resources from across the University of Minnesota, MELP also offers customizable English as a Second Language (ESL) training to meet the specific language needs of various groups, businesses, and organizations.
Students benefit from the program with:
- Rigorous courses at a world-class university
- Outstanding academic programs
- Friendly, highly skilled teachers
- Small class sizes
- Advising and support services geared to international students
- Access to University resources and facilities
Leader in ESL and Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Training
For more than 40 years, the University of Minnesota has led the way in ESL and TESL training. Students have access to a wealth of academic resources, exceptional faculty, cutting-edge technology, and other facilities at one of the largest research universities in the United States.
MELP offers three distinct services:
- Academic English Program – Credit classes for students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate degree programs who are seeking to improve their English language skills while taking other academic course work.
- Intensive English Program – A program designed for students who need to improve their English skills in preparation for study at a University or college, and for those who wish to prepare for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Short-term Learning – Customizable training for groups of 12 or more non-native English speakers.