Jump to navigation. Jump to content. Jump to search. Jump to menu.

Follow Us: Join CCE on Facebook.  Join CCE on Google+.  Join CCE on LinkedIn. 


Registering for Courses

Visit the One Stop Web site or One Stop Student Services Centers for comprehensive registration information.

For information on course cancellations and changes, see Policies and Dates and Deadlines.

Note: Students taking Online and Distance Learning courses should also read the information found at the bottom of this page.

When to Register

The academic calendar has important dates, such as when the term starts and ends, finals week, deadlines for changing your registration, future term registration dates, and holidays. If you are an admitted student, your specific registration time is also available on One Stop.

If you are a non-admitted student, see How to Take Credit Courses for more information about when to register and other important information specific to you.

Registration periods for extended-term Online and Distance Learning (ODL) courses are timed so that one section is open per month. When a section closes at the end of the month, there is no late registration available; simply register for the next month's section. See ODL Dates and Deadlines.

How to Register

How you register will depend on your registration history and what you are taking. Keep the following in mind:

Online Registration

  • Use this option if you registered for a course within the past two terms (excluding summer) and are taking courses for undergraduate credit.
  • Non-admitted students taking graduate- level courses for graduate credit may only register via U.S. Postal Service, fax, or in person; they may not register online (Web) or use the online e-mail registration form.

U.S. Postal Service or In-person

Registering for Graduate Credit as a Non-admitted Student

  • Registration is not available online or via e-mail for non-admitted students who want to take a graduate-level course.
  • Download and complete the Registration Request for Graduate Credit for Non-Degree Students form and submit it to the department offering the courses for approval.
  • This form must be used each term until you are admitted to a graduate degree program.
  • If the department approves your special registration, you will be charged graduate-level tuition rates for all courses you take that semester.

Please note: All ODL extended-term courses are available for undergraduate credit only.

For questions about how to register, call the CCE Information Center at 612-624-4000 or e-mail cceinfo@umn.edu. If you have Web access difficulties, contact the Computer Access Help Line at 612-624-4276 or at help@umn.edu.

Special Registration Instructions

Auditing a Course

Auditing a course requires payment of full tuition and any fees. Approval from the instructor is required before registering.

Carlson School of Management Courses

Lower division courses (1000- and 2000-level) are open to all students. No permission is required for registration but credits and prerequisites are enforced. Carlson upper division and graduate courses may also be available.

High School Students

CCE offers two opportunuties for high school students to experience college-level courses: the Post-Secondary Enrollment Option and College in the Schools.

Senior Citizen Education Option

If you are 62 or older (or are 60 years old and receiving a railroad retirement annuity) and a Minnesota resident, you are eligible for the Senior Citizen Education Program (SCEP). The ODL fees and any other special fees must be paid in full; however, SCEP students are exempt from the Student Services fee.

Additional Considerations for Online and Distance Courses


A day or two after you register for an online or correspondence course, we'll send an e-mail welcome (to your University of Minnesota e-mail address). Shortly thereafter, if the course is online, we'll send you specific information by e-mail--or postal mail (if you're not an admitted student). If the course is correspondence, you will be mailed a printed study guide that has all of your reading and writing assignments and exam information, if applicable.

ODL Dates and Deadlines


If you did not complete an ODL course and received a grade of F or N but you still want to earn credit for it, you must re-register in the most recent version of the course. You will need to pay the current tuition rates in full, buy the current required texts and supplies, and complete all the assignments and exams in the newest version of the course. Though your original registration remains on your record with the grade you earned, your new grade will also appear and be the one factored into your cumulative GPA. A note will appear by the original grade indicating that the course has been repeated and this grade is not being factored into the cumulative GPA.

If you are a degree-seeking (admitted) student who is considering repeating a course, check with your college adviser.

Please Note: If you are repeating an online extended term course (not printed course) within the same year you first took the course, there may be additional complications. Please contact the College of Continuing Education Information Center at 612-624-4000 or cceinfo@umn.edu.

After You Register

After you register, you will receive a registration confirmation (called a “study list”) from One Stop Student Services. This includes your student ID number, which will be important to know if you’re new to the University. You will also receive a welcome e-mail and information packet from ODL. The University will send important communications through your U of M e-mail. Please initiate your University e-mail account immediately and check it frequently.

Financial Aid

Financial aid administered by the Office of Student Finance will not apply to extended-term courses. If you have financial aid from another source, contact the sponsor to make sure that your aid will cover courses that allow up to nine months for completion.

If you are eligible for a Minnesota State Grant, the Office of Student Finance will count all Online and Distance Learning courses you enroll in by the end of the second week of the semester. This includes both extended-term and term-based courses.

College of Continuing Education home