Jump to navigation. Jump to content. Jump to search. Jump to menu.

Follow Us: Join CCE on Facebook.  Join CCE on Google+.  Join CCE on LinkedIn. 

Admission and Registration

The College of Continuing Education offers educational opportunities that carry University credit and those that do not. Those that don't carry University credit are often referred to as noncredit courses or programs although in most case you can earn continuing education units (CEUs) for them.


We offer many courses and programs that do not require that you be admitted to the University including noncredit courses and workshops and conferences and events. However, like with most University degree programs, College of Continuing Education graduate and undergraduate degree and credit certificate programs do require that you apply for admission; although in some cases, you can begin taking courses prior to admission. College of Continuing Education programs’ Web pages have detailed instructions on admission requirements and processes.

Taking A Course

Course for academic credit

You do not have to be admitted to a degree or certificate program at the U of M to take credit courses. Many courses are available for you to take as a “non-admitted” student as long as you meet the course prerequisites and the course still has open seats. Courses you take may be applied to a degree or credit certificate program in the future. See How to Take Credit Courses for more information on taking credit courses as a non-admitted student.

Noncredit courses

There are also numerous noncredit certificates, courses, and events available to you to pursue your professional development goals or explore a topic of interest. You do not need to apply for admission to participate in these programs. “Noncredit” means that the courses do not earn academic credit at the University; however, continuing education units are usually available.

Finding courses

The College of Continuing Education’s course search lets you search all of CCE’s noncredit offerings and University credit courses offered in the late afternoon and evenings and available online and through correspondence. A complete listing of U of M credit courses, including those offered during the day, can be found using One Stop’s class schedule.

Registering for Noncredit Courses

If you've received a brochure in the mail and know which course you want to take, you can use the course’s event identification number that is listed in the brochure to register online.

If you don’t know which courses you want to take, you can search for courses or look more broadly for available programs and courses. Once you have found a course, you will be able to register online, or print a registration form and send it by mail. Or, call the CCE Information Center at 612-624-4000 to register by phone.

Registering for Credit Courses

Visit the One Stop Web site or One Stop Student Services Centers for comprehensive registration information.

When to Register

The academic calendar has important dates, such as when the term starts and ends, finals week, deadlines for changing your registration, future term registration dates, and holidays. If you are an admitted student, your specific registration time is also available on One Stop.

If you are a non-admitted student, see How to Take Credit Courses for more information about when to register and other important information specific to you.

How to Register

How you register will depend on your registration history and what you are taking. Keep the following in mind:

Online Registration

  • Use this option if you registered for a course within the past two terms (excluding summer) and are taking courses for undergraduate credit.
  • Non-admitted students taking graduate level courses for graduate credit may register only via U.S. Postal Service, fax, or in person; they may not register online (Web) or use the online e-mail registration form.

U.S. Postal Service or In-person

  • Everyone can print, complete, and submit the appropriate registration form by mail or in person.

Registering for Graduate Credit as a Non-admitted Student

Program Completion

Note: the words “degree” and “certificate” are used interchangeably on this form. The form should be submitted during your last term of registration.

College of Continuing Education home